We have several special events planned for 2014 at the Monticello Railway Museum. Trains also operate weekends from May through October — see the schedule for details. Different fares may apply to special events.
- Throttle Time - Weekends in April and November with dates in between: Run our train!
- 401 in Steam - Weekends from May through October: Ride behind our 1907 steam locomotive!
- School Days - May 6th and 14th: An opportunity for school children to ride a full-sized diesel-powered train.
- Throw Momma on the Train - May 10th and 11th: Make this Mother's Day special — treat Mom to a relaxing ride with her family on our vintage train.
- Father's Day Weekend - June 14th and 15th: Dads ride FREE when accompanied by their children!
- Fireworks Special - July 3rd: See the Monticello fireworks without worrying about traffic.
- Railroad Days - September 20th and 21st: Come ride our vintage passenger and freight trains on the former Illinois Central and Illinois Terminal trackage.
- The Polar Express™ - November 21st, 22nd, 28th, 29th, and 30th; December 5th and 6th: Read along with the story as the train makes its round-trip journey to the North Pole. Sold out for 2014.
- Lunch with Santa on the Train - December 6th and 7th: Enjoy a train ride, individual visit with Santa, and kid-friendly sack lunch. This event is hosted by the Monticello Chamber of Commerce.
Due to the need for more capacity for the overwhelmingly popular Polar Express, Ghost Train will not be held for the forseeable future.