There are several annual special activities which are listed below. Activities take place throughout the year at the Monticello Railway Museum. Trains operate weekends and some holidays from May through October - see the schedule for more detailed information. Different fares may apply to special events.
- Throw Momma on the Train - May 10th & 11th: Make this Mother's Day special -- treat Mom to a relaxing ride with her family on the vintage train.
- Father's Day Weekend - June 14th & June 15th: Dads ride FREE when accompanied by their children!
- Fireworks Special - July 3rd: Ride the train from downtown Monticello to watch the fireworks.
- Little Engine That Could™ I Think I Can™ Rail Tour - July 12th & 13th and July 18th - 20th
- Railroad Days - September 20th & 21st: Come ride our vintage passenger and freight trains on the former Illinois Central and Illinois Terminal trackage.
- Ghost Train - October 18th-19th, 24th-26th: ALL ages can enjoy a train ride through Camp Creek Hollow with a stop at Cemetery Road... but only the BRAVE should check out our Haunted Boxcar!
- The Polar Express™ - November 28th & 29th: Read along with the story as the train makes its round-trip journey to the North Pole. Buy Tickets
- Lunch with Santa on the Train - December 6th & 7th: This event is hosted by the Monticello Chamber of Commerce. Buy Tickets
- Throttle Time - July-November: Run our train!
In addition, repair, restoration, maintenance and other activities take place throughout the year.